city at night

city at night

Friday, August 25, 2017

They're Everywhere!

A while ago I wrote about Mexico's culinary masterpiece, "chiles en nogada", the stuffed poblano peppers covered with walnut sauce and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.  I wrote that Alejandro and I had gone to a new restaurant expressly to try their "chiles en nogada".  Although they were good, they were not up to our high standards.

"Chiles en nogada" is the traditional dish for Mexico's Independence Day, and most restaurants serve them only in August and September.  It's been a long, long time since I have been in Mexico City in August, and I was rather surprised to see how restaurants everywhere are advertising their "chiles".  It is really a big thing.

I started taking photos of the signs announcing that the "chiles en nogada" season is upon us.













Perhaps you would like a margarita with your "chiles en nogada"?



Even this Italian restaurant is getting into the act with their own style of "chiles".
I'm not sure that I would care for that.  "Chiles en nogada" is a classic that should not be tampered with!

All of this advertising has me in the mood for "chiles en nogada" again... really, really good "chiles" this time.  The best ones that Alejandro and I have had are at one of our favorite restaurants, "Angelopolitano".   "Angelopolitano" specializes in the cuisine of the city of Puebla (which is where "chiles en nogada" originated), and they serve the "chiles" all year long.  On my last trip to Mexico City, we went to the restaurant one evening and found it to be closed.  We are hoping that it has not gone out of business.  Tonight Alejandro and I are going there again to see if it is open... and, if it is open, even though there are so many wonderful dishes on the menu, there is no question as to what we are going to order!

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

2 comments:

  1. I love chiles en nogada, and try to sample this great dish at least once each season when it's easy to find. I look foward to reading how your expedition in search of this delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marc,
      Hopefully we will find "Angelopolitano" open this evening, and I will be able to report on a delicious supper.
      By the way, La Casa de Frida in Merida serves chiles en nogada all year long. They used to be excellent, then the quality went downhill. When I was there last winter, they were pretty good, but still not as good as Angelopolitano.

      Delete