city at night

city at night

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

I Can't Go to Mexico Without Shopping

I really did not need to do any souvenir shopping.  I bought presents for my friends and relatives on the last two trips to Mexico City, I already have plenty of items for next spring's charity auction, and I certainly don't need any more Mexican handicrafts for my house.  But then I saw an advertisement that during the entire month of August there is a 10% discount on all items at the FONART stores.  FONART is a chain of government sponsored handicraft stores, and the largest one is within walking distance of the apartment.  So one day last week I headed over to the shop to see if there was anything that I just HAD to buy.

I'm sure that I spent much more than an hour wandering around the store and looking at the merchandise.  There was plenty there that I loved but which was out of the question... either too big for my carry-ons, too fragile, or too expensive.  (The FONART stores carry high quality handicrafts, and although there is much that it is very reasonable, there are also some pricey items.)  

I saw something very practical... a lacquer pencil holder made in the Mexican state of Guerrero.  It will certainly look better than the glass jar sitting on my desk at home.



And then I came to a section of woodcarvings from the state of Chiapas, and I decided upon this carving of a Mayan man in traditional attire.


I have a small collection of woodcarvings from Mexico and also from a trip to Ecuador many years ago.  I think that this will make a nice addition to that collection.  I wasn't cheap... around $35 US... but, if you were to find something comparable in a shop in the U.S., it would surely be far more expensive.



No comments:

Post a Comment