city at night

city at night

Monday, August 14, 2017

A Birthday Present

Alejandro came to the apartment on my birthday with this present for me, a bottle of Xtabentún.


Xtabentún is a honey liqueur from Yucatán.  I am not much of a drinker, but Xtabentún is a favorite of mine.  When I visit the city Mérida it is almost a nightly ritual of mine to order "Xtabentún en las rocas" (on the rocks) either with supper or at one of the sidewalk cafés.

Unfortunately, outside of Yucatán, it is very difficult to find Xtabentún.  There used to be a liquor store in Chicago that sold it, and whenever I would go there to visit friends, I would buy a bottle.  However that store no longer carries it.  Even in Mexico City it is not easy to find.  Alejandro was fortunate to find the last bottle in one particular store here.

I will not attempt to take the bottle home with me.  But now I will be able follow my Mérida ritual here in Mexico City.  

4 comments:

  1. Darn! We should have checked at Binny's when we were in Chicago last weekend! I'll ask Zack to look and if Binny's has it, he can bring some in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Binny's was the place where I used to find it in Chicago.

      Delete
  2. Do you want me to ask Zack to bring you a bottle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can ask Zack if he can find any, but I don't think he will. Tony and Terence always used to buy it at Binny's but then Binny's stopped carrying it.

      Delete