city at night

city at night

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Shopping Downtown

No, I did not go downtown to buy more souvenirs and handicrafts.  My shopping expedition on Tuesday was of a totally practical nature.

My little camera pouch, which conveniently snapped onto my belt, after many years of service and dozens of trips, was falling apart.



I could have gone to one of the malls, which perhaps would have one camera shop, and may or may not have what I was looking for.  Or I could go to the historic center of the city.  There you will find stores grouped together by category.  A young lady will find a whole street of shops selling fancy ball gowns for her 15th birthday.  Other streets will be lined with stores selling medical equipment or children's clothes or musical instruments.  I asked Alejandro if there was a street specializing in photography shops.  He said that I should go to República de Cuba Street, which is what I did.  

As it turned out, Alejandro was wrong, but he was only off by a block.  The next street, Donceles, had probably a dozen different camera stores grouped together.


(Actually, it was a good thing that Alejandro was wrong.  Much of República de Cuba was closed because they are filming a Godzilla movie.  Yes, in the next Godzilla film, the monster will ravage Mexico City!)

In the second store that I visited, I found what I wanted.


It's a tad bigger that what I had before, but I can either attach to my belt, or I can use the strap that accompanies it, and hang it around my neck.  Like my old one, it has a separate, zippered compartment where I can store my extra battery and chip.

So my shopping expedition was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment