city at night

city at night

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Brit-Mex Fast Food

One of my favorite foods in England is the pasty, the baked pastries filled with meat and vegetables that are a staple with the miners of Cornwall.  The pasty made its way to Mexico when Cornish miners came to work the mines in Real del Monte in the state of Hidalgo.  Throughout Hidalgo and especially in Real del Monte you will find many shops selling the pastries which in Mexico are called "pastes".  Over time they became "Mexicanized" with fillings such as "mole" and "chorizo".

I was in historic center of Mexico City and wanted something for lunch.  I came across a little fast food restaurant called Kiko's Pastes.  I went inside and waited in line to place my order.  They quickly put my "pastes" in little bags, and placed them on a tray to carry to a table.




My "pastes" were quite good; the dough was very flaky.  I was quite satisfied with my fast food lunch, but then I went to the restroom.  It was atrocious... no soap, no towels, no toilet seat.  It gave me second thoughts about returning here.


No comments:

Post a Comment