from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Family

One of the wonderful things about Mexican culture is the importance of family... but sometimes I'm glad that I am an only child.

Yesterday I went across town to the condo to pick up some clean clothes and take care of a couple things.  I got back to Alejandro's home around 2:30, and I was thinking that my timing was perfect.  I was just in time to warm up left overs for the family's afternoon dinner.

When I opened the door, I found the house full of visiting relatives.  Alejandro's mom is in very bad shape, and family members from as far away as Chiapas converged all at once to say their goodbyes to her.  I would estimate that there were thirty visitors.  That may be an exaggeration, but in the small house it seemed as it there were even more.

Alejandro's father was upset that we didn't have food to offer everyone.  But, as I said to him later, isn't it customary for the visitors to bring food to the home of a sick relative??  Alejandro's favorite aunt and uncle brought an apple salad and a gelatin mold, and those were quickly devoured.  Alejandro and I ran to the corner store to buy bottles of soft drinks to offer to the guests.

Of course there were plenty of children among the crowd.  The aforementioned aunt chased the kids out of the sickroom, and did not care if she were offending anyone.  Good for her!

Around 7:00 P.M. Alejandro, his father and sister and I finally took refuge upstairs in his sister's apartment to eat.  What should have been our afternoon dinner, turned out to be our evening supper.  

The last visitors did not leave until 10:00 P.M.  However, those were the favorite aunt and uncle and a couple of their adult children.  Of all the members of Alejandro's extended family that I have met, they are probably the ones with whom I feel most comfortable.  I enjoy their company... but by 10:00 I was exhausted and I am sure that Alejandro, and his father and sister were also.

In spite of all the commotion, Alejandro's mother slept through a good portion of the impromptu family reunion.

I just hope that family members do not descend upon the house again today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment