I have been writing this blog since October of 2013. Over those years I have written over 4500 posts, and the last several years I have been averaging more than one post per day. Yesterday I was preparing a blog entry to publish this morning. I was writing about the Dolores Olmedo Museum, and I had many photos of items from the museum's collection to include. Suddenly, about half way through the entry, I was unable to insert any more photos. I tried and tried but I couldn't upload photos from my laptop's photo files. Thinking it might be some glitch, I tried signing out of Google, and then signing back in. I turned off the laptop and then turned it on again. This morning I tried to upload again, but with no luck.
I looked at my storage on Google, and I have only used only14% of the space. However when I clicked on Photos, the pictures that were there were mostly, but not entirely, photos that I took with my cell phone. (I do not like taking pictures with my phone, but if I do not have my camera with me, or if a museum does not permit photos with a camera, I occasionally use it.) Also, some of those pictures that I took with the phone are not even photos that I uploaded onto the blog.
Somehow, I don't even remember how, I found that the bulk of the pictures that I have published on the blog, are in Google's media manager albums. There are more 25,000 photos. Before I upload pictures to my blog, I always reduce them in size. I read somewhere else that if your photos are less than 2048 pixels in width or length, that they do not count against your storage allotment. I looked at the size of my photos in the albums. The vast majority of the pictures are less than that size. I am going to see if I delete some of the ones that are over that size, if I will be able to insert photos once again.
Fingers crossed. Hopefully I will be able to fix this, and I will be able to continue posting as I have for the last thirteen years.
If you can't find a fix, please post or update this with your contact information and I'm happy to try to help. I'm just a reader and don't have any special expertise here, but years ago I did make web apps as an occupation.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like you've already found https://blog.google/products-and-platforms/products/photos/storage-changes/ from 2020, and the Google photos storage page: https://photos.google.com/storage . If not, maybe those URLs will surface something.
Thank you so much for your offer to help! I was just about to write a blog entry saying that the problem is solved, and I am back in business. Tomorrow I will resume my normal blogging! Muchas gracias, Troy.
DeleteThat's wonderful news. You're welcome, and thanks for writing!
ReplyDelete