mexico

mexico

Friday, September 4, 2026

A Kitchen Experiment

I found a recipe on the internet for something that was described as "avocado bread".  It contains no flour, and it sounded interesting.  I decided to try it.

There are just a few ingredients... an avocado, an egg, a small carrot and cheese.


The recipe called for parsley, but I didn't bother with that.  However, I did add some sauteed onion and garlic, which several people in the website's comments section said they did.

In a bowl I mashed up the avocado with the egg.  I grated the carrot and cheese into the mixture, and added the onion and garlic.  I seasoned it with salt and pepper.


You are supposed to form two "pancakes" with the batter on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  Well, I don't have a baking sheet, and I could not find parchment paper in the supermarket.  So, I used a large oven-proof frying pan that I have, and coated it with a bit of olive oil.  My "pancakes" were oblong instead of round.


The recipe says to bake the "pancakes" in a pre-heated 350 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.  The problem is that the ovens I have used in Mexico do not have a pre-heat setting, so I simply had to guesstimate when the oven was hot enough.

The result is supposed to be like bread.  In fact, the recipe suggested using it to make a sandwich.  The finished product, however, was very soft and loose.  I was barely able to get each slice out of the pan intact.  If I were using my oven back in Ohio I might have used the broiler for a few minutes, but Mexican ovens do not seem to have broilers either.

Even though the consistency was nothing at all like bread, and it would be impossible to make a sandwich with it, it was very tasty.  I garnished the slices with cherry tomatoes cut in half.

I tried making it again for Alejandro.  I added a little bit a flour to the batter, and left it in the oven a little longer.  It still was not anything like bread.  However, it did taste very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment