chile en nogada

chile en nogada

Friday, September 18, 2026

More Blooms?

Those of you who have followed this blog over the last few years, know the story of the orchid plant that I bought not long after making the move to Mexico.  After the original blossoms had dropped, I hoped that the plant would rebloom again.  For a long time I had no luck, and I finally took the orchid to a nursery.  There an expert told me that I was over-watering it.  He trimmed back some rotten roots and repotted it in fresh bark chips with a time-released fertilizer.  After that I gave it only one cup of water each week.  This was more than a year ago, and, about a month after the repotting, a flower stalk emerged.  I had flowers once again which lasted until January of this year.  In the spring another flower stalk sprouted, and I had blooms which lasted most of the summer.

Last week I was looking at the plant, and I saw several sprouts.  From my past experience I am quite sure that they are going to be flower stalks.


This close-up photo is quite blurry, but I think that you can see that there are four, possibly five, little sprouts emerging.


If they all develop into flower stalks, in a month or so it is going to be a quite spectacular floral display!


No comments:

Post a Comment