During the season celebrating Mexico's independence (known as the "Fiestas Patrias") it is common to eat traditional Mexican dishes. The most emblematic dish for the "Fiestas Patrias" is something I have written about many times here on the blog... that exquisite culinary creation known as "chiles en nogada". The green poblano pepper, the white walnut sauce and the red pomegranate seeds are the colors of the Mexican flag. Last Saturday, before we went to the Zócalo to see the holiday lights, we stopped for dinner at our favorite restaurant, Testal. Although we think that they have the best "chiles en nogada" in town, this time we did not order them. During this time of year they have another dish that is almost as scrumptious... "enchiladas agustinas". The enchiladas are filled with the same filling that goes into "chiles en nogada", a mixture of meat, fruit and nuts. Pomegranate seeds are sprinkled on top, but instead of walnut sauce, the enchiladas are generously covered with their delicious "mole".
We had their "chiles en nogada" last month when they first appeared on the menu, but we can't let the season go by without also having their special enchiladas. So delicious!
This is the first time since I permanently moved to Mexico that I spent Independence Day with Alejandro's family. (Last year we were in Ohio, and the year before that I was in Switzerland.) I did not realize just how good the food was going to be. Just as the special holiday meal is served on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day, the feasting occurs on the night before Independence Day. Rather than cook, the family had ordered food from a neighbor that prepares meals. The dishes that we had are very typical, at least in Mexico City, for the celebration of the "Fiestas Patrias".
First we had "pozole", a thick soup or stew made with hominy and meat (either chicken or pork). The soup is garnished with chopped onion, shredded cabbage and sliced radishes. You also give it a good squeeze of lime juice and sprinkle some oregano on top.
What was even better were the "tostadas"... crisp, deep fried corn tortillas that are served with various toppings. "Tostadas" are usually round, but they can also be square. The day before Alejandro went to a neighborhood "tortillería" and bought two large packages of square "tostadas".
We had two different toppings for our "tostadas". One was "pata de res", cows' feet pickled in vinegar and onions. No thanks. I've tried "pata" before, and I did not like it, particularly the consistency. Fortunately, there was another topping which was delicious, "tinga de pollo". "Tinga" is a dish that originated in the city of Puebla. It is shredded chicken mixed with tomato sauce, chipotle peppers, and sauteed onion and garlic. The "tinga" was very tasty, and I lost track of how many "tostadas" I ate.
First you spoon on some "crema" (similar to sour cream) on the "tostada". Then you put on some "tinga". Next you can put on some garnishes... chopped onion, shredded cheese, shredded cabbage, and some salsa. Rather messy to eat but yummy!
We ate very well for the "Fiestas Patrias"!



No comments:
Post a Comment