zocalo

zocalo

Monday, July 10, 2023

Trying to Copy a Recipe

While I was in Mexico, I had a very tasty salad at a restaurant near my apartment.  I consisted simply of avocados, tomatoes and cheese in a vinaigrette dressing.  Yesterday I tried to replicate it at home.

I chopped three avocados and three ripe tomatoes.  I wasn't sure what kind of cheese to buy.  I ended up getting a chunk of sharp provolone.  It proved to be a good choice.  It was rather salty and went well with the bland flavor of the avocados.  For the dressing, I used organic apple cider vinegar, and I squeezed in the juice of one half of a lime.  I added also mixed in a spoonful of vinegar from a can of pickled serrano peppers that I had opened in order to add a bit of heat.  I added some sugar.  (I used stevia instead.)


The finished product was very good.  I didn't duplicate exactly the taste of the salad I had in Mexico (the dressing, I think was different), but I came close.  It is definitely a recipe that I will make again, especially when I have moved to Mexico City.


No comments:

Post a Comment