zocalo

zocalo

Monday, July 3, 2023

Mural Progress

On my recent trip to Mexico, I showed you some pictures of a mural that was being painted along a wall not far from where Alejandro lives.  On my last day there, I took a walk and photographed the progress that had been made in a week's time.


The mural portrays the Battle of Puebla which was fought on May 5th (Cinco de Mayo) of 1862.  Here the Mexican forces halted (at least temporarily) the advance of the invading French troops.  It was the first time in history that a non-European army had defeated a European power.  Even though "Cinco de Mayo" is not a national holiday in Mexico, in Alejandro's Mexico City neighborhood of San Juan de Aragón, a reenactment of the battle is held every year.






I am sure that by the time I return to Mexico next month, the mural will have been completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment