zocalo

zocalo

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Punishing the Virtuous

 

(image taken from the internet)

It is that time of year when I have to renew my auto registration. First, I had to go for the emissions testing of the car.  There is a location for the testing less than a mile from my house.  The test is free, there was no wait, my Prius passed the test, and I was soon on my way.  With the paper saying the car passed in hand, I went to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.  Fortunately there was not a line there either, and within fifteen minutes I left with my new registration, and the sticker that I have to attach to my rear license plate.

It was all very quick and easy, but I have two reasons for being disgruntled.  First of all, within two or three months, if all goes according to plan, I will get rid of the car just prior to my move to Mexico.  But I am most annoyed by the fact that the annual registration renewal costs $161.  One hundred dollars of that fee is a surcharge that is added because I have a hybrid vehicle. (The surcharge is $200 for electric cars.)  The rationale is that we are using less gasoline, and therefore paying less gas tax.

Here we are at a time where it is essential to cut our reliance on fossil fuels.  There should be incentives to buy fuel efficient vehicles, but instead, those of us who are doing a small part to help the environment are penalized.  I mentioned this to the young fellow who was waiting on me at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, and he said, "Thanks to our Republican governor and legislature in Ohio."

If anything, a surcharge should be placed on the registration of the gas-guzzling vehicles!

No comments:

Post a Comment