zocalo

zocalo

Thursday, July 27, 2023

It's Ohio

A few days ago, I saw a funny article on the internet which had photos that summed up each state in the United States.  The photo for Ohio was right on the money.


Way back in 1973 when I was a junior in college, I spent the winter quarter, from January through mid-March, studying at the University of the Americas in Mexico.  When I talked to my parents on the phone in early March, they said that the weather was mild and that the daffodils and tulips were sprouting.  When I flew home on St. Patrick's Day, March 17th, I only made it as far as Atlanta because the Cleveland Airport was closed due to a heavy snowstorm.

Now that I am retired, I have for many years spent January and February in Mexico.  I miss out on most of the winter, but I know very well that I will probably still see at least one more snowfall even if the calendar says that it is spring. 

I checked out the weather statistics for Cleveland, and the latest measurable snowfall was 0.1 inches on May 7, 1974.  On April 21, 2021, we had 4.5 inches of snow, and on April 19, 2019, we had 11 inches of snow.  In late April of this year, after having temperatures in the 80s F a few days before, there were snowflakes in the air. (Fortunately, they melted upon contact with the ground.)

As we say here in Cleveland, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute."

No comments:

Post a Comment