flowers

flowers

Sunday, May 14, 2023

The Next Step

I just returned from Mexico City last Wednesday.  I haven't even put away my suitcase yet, but I have to start packing again.  In just a little over two weeks, I will return to Mexico, and on this trip, I will purchase the condo that I have been renting since April of 2017.

As you may recall, the owner of the apartment is a Mexican who lives with his wife in Chicago.  He was a pilot with Mexicana Airlines, and that is why they purchased an apartment in Mexico City.  After Mexicana went bankrupt in 2010, the apartment was rarely used.  They didn't want to sell it, but they were reluctant to rent it.  Serendipitously I made contact with them, and they agreed to start renting the condo to me.  It was an ideal situation for us all.  They only charged me for the months that I was down there, and I paid the condo maintenance fees and real estate taxes (which they deducted from my rent).  It saved them from making trips down to Mexico.

After Mexicana went bankrupt, Eduardo, the owner, worked for several other airlines.  In March of this year, he retired.  They wanted to sell the apartment, and, knowing that it had become my home-away-from-home, they wanted to sell it to me.  Although the property is quite expensive, we agreed on a price.  Eduardo has to make a trip to Mexico City this month to take care of some business, so I am going down there too so that I can make the purchase.  He has a trusted friend in Mexico City who is a realtor and lawyer, and he will help us with the transaction.  I also plan to get my Mexican residency visa while I am down there.  Normally, U.S. citizens who plan to move to Mexico, need to make an appointment at a Mexican consulate in the U.S. to get a visa.  However, because I am married to a Mexican citizen, I can obtain it in Mexico City. 

So, the next steps in my move to Mexico City will take place soon.  After I return to Ohio, I can put the house up for sale.  Hopefully, that won't take too long, because I am eager to begin my new life in Mexico.  On the other hand, I hope it doesn't happen too quickly, since there is much that I need to do prior to making the permanent move.  

It would seem that the process is progressing along the time frame that I had hoped for.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are no snafus along the way.  I am both excited and scared!


6 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled for you! (Barbara)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I'll be happy when it's all over, and the house is sold, and I am settled into my new home. Until then I am stressed out.

      Delete
  2. It's Scott. I'm happy to learn you were able to purchase the apartment after all. It will certainly save the hassle and cost of buying new furniture.

    Safe travels back to CDMX and I hope the resident visa process goes smoothly and that there is no use of the most frustrating diminutive in existence, "ahorita."

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott,
    Even though the apartment is completely furnished, I still want to ship some stuff down there. Now I am waiting for a call from a moving company.
    I will be down there for a month, and I am hoping that I will be able to get my residency visa within that time frame. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are able to work through all the red tape that is often the case in a "foreign" country, you will be on your way to being a bona fide Mexicano! You taught school for 30 some years, so this should be easy! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, but I also know how infuriating Mexican bureaucracy can be.
      I'll just be a legal resident, not a citizen.

      Delete