city at night

city at night

Saturday, July 24, 2021

Sehr Gut!

Yesterday I got together with a couple of friends whom I have not seen since before the pandemic.  If you have been reading the blog for a long time and have a very good memory, you might remember Joyce and Dave.  After retirement, for a number of years they spent their winters in Progreso in the state of Yucatán, Mexico.  We would often get together on my visits to Mérida, the nearby capital of the state.  Joyce used to be a Spanish teacher also.  Although she taught in a different school district, we took several summer workshop courses together, and we became friends.

We met at one of my favorite restaurants here in the Cleveland area, a place called "Das Schnitzel Haus"... obviously, a German restaurant.  The food there is excellent, and I am told that it is quite authentic.

Joyce had stuffed cabbage rolls and Dave had a breaded chicken cutlet.



I ordered my favorite dish, something called "Zigeunerschnitzel".  It is no longer on the menu, but if they have the ingredients they will make it upon request.

(photo taken by Joyce)

The breaded pork cutlet is covered with a sauce made tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, and seasoned with paprika.  It is garnished with goat cheese.

I did a bit of research on the dish and found out that "Zigeunerschnitzel" means "Gypsy schnitzel".  For that reason the name is considered offensive to the Roma people who do not like to be called gypsies.  In Germany some restaurants have changed the name to "Balkanschnitzel" or "Paprikaschnitzel" on their menus.

Whatever the name, it is very good!  The dinner included two sides.  I had German potato salad and red cabbage. 

All of us also ordered dessert.  They were out of apple strudel, but Dave had German chocolate cake, Joyce had cherry strudel, and I had cheese strudel.

(photo taken by Joyce)

Needless to say we all left the restaurant with full tummies!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment