from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The First Jab




Yesterday afternoon I had my first shot of the Moderna vaccine for COVID-19.   I wrote last week that, as soon as my age group was eligible for the vaccine, I spent a day on the internet looking for an appointment.  I finally found an available time and location at a pharmacy inside a Giant Eagle supermarket in North Ridgeville, Ohio.  I was lucky to find a place relatively close to me.  My cousin Gail and her husband had to drive all the way to Mansfield, about an hour away down the interstate.

According to Google Maps, the supermarket was only twenty minutes from my house.  However, because of the snow storm we had the night before, I wasn't sure if the roads were all clear.  I left early with plenty of time to spare.  As it turned out, the roads were fine, and I walked around the supermarket until shortly before my appointment time.  I had to show my driver's license and my Medicare card and fill out a form.  I only waited a minute or two before the pharmacist came out and gave me my jab.  I did not even feel it.  You are not supposed to leave the store for about 15 minutes after the shot, just in case there is reaction.  I did a little bit of shopping and was then on my way home.  It was a quick and (literally) painless process.

When I get my annual flu shot, I do not have any reaction at all.  Last year when I got the shingles vaccine I had a sore arm for the first time.   I was fully expecting a sore arm with this shot.  However, this morning if I touch the spot where I was injected, there is just a slight tenderness.  (Or am I just imagining it?)

I received my appointment for the second shot in 28 days at the same time and at the same location.  

When you are eligible for the vaccine, be persistent and find an appointment for yourself.  The only way we are going to beat this virus is if we are all vaccinated!

4 comments:

  1. Great news! And, so close and not a line of 183 people in front of you. Amazing.
    People here in Mexico are driving to the USA for their "jabs". Two friends drove to Texas on Saturday, even though they knew of the impending bad weather. Stayed in San Antonio for two nights and then drove across Texas (6 hours) to a little town for their vaccinations and now are headed back to SMA. A total of about 20 hours of driving. Now they are vaccinating in close proximity to SMA and I expect to get vaccinated in the next few weeks here at the house! I signed up a couple of weeks ago....I have no idea what vaccine I will get but I think it will be Pfizer since they just received 480,000 shots for the "elderly" (which is me now). Onward my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Mexico City, they are now vaccinating by "delegación" those over 80. Alejandro's father is over 80 and is registered. But they do not know when they will get to their part of the city.
      Hopefully his sister will soon get the first shot since she has an office job in a hospital. He has no idea when it will be his turn.

      So they will come to your house to give you the vaccine?

      Alejandro said that Mexico has received a shipment of Sputnik vaccine from Russia. The Pfizer vaccine is problematic because it requires storage at such an extremely low temperature... not practical in many parts of Mexico, or here in the U.S. for that matter.

      Good luck! I hope you get your first shot soon!

      Delete