from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Super-Mask

I wrote a few days ago that I am returning to Mexico in April and that I ordered a box of N95 masks for the trip.  The box was sent via UPS instead of through the regular postal service, so I have already received it.


The masks are quite expensive, but given the fact that they filter more than 95% of all germs, I consider them well worth the expense.  Between my vaccination, which will be complete by then, and these masks, I will be able to travel with peace of mind. 

Given their effectiveness at filtering everything out, I was surprised to see how thin they are.  I also like the fact that the straps go around the head, rather than over the ears.  Sometimes the straps on my cloth masks slip off of my ears.  I have been told that breathing through these is somewhat more difficult, so I hope that will not be gasping for breath in Mexico City's high altitude.

I will have to shave off my goatee before the trip, since facial hair would create gaps.  (The moustache can stay however.)




The masks are for single use only, although I have been told that in a pinch they can be reused if you let them air out for 72 hours.  However you cannot wash them like a cloth mask.  I have already ordered another box so that I will have enough for my entire trip.

2 comments:

  1. These are top-of-the-line masks, so I'm sure they'll give you both protection and piece of mind while you stay in Mexico City. For people who cannot afford those expensive masks, I read that CDC also recommends wearing a cloth mask over a surgical mask for increased protection. I'll try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something that I was doing long before the CDC started to recommend double masking is to fold up a couple sheets of paper towels and put them inside my cloth mask. I figure that the virus is going to have to go through a whole bunch of layers to get to me!

      Delete