from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Snow - Here and There

Here in Ohio were we hit with the fringes of the snowstorm that hit the northeastern United States.  It started to snow Sunday afternoon, and it continued through the night.  This is what I woke up to Monday morning.


It was just enough snow to completely cover the ground, perhaps three inches.  I  didn't even bother with the snow blower since in a couple days the temperature is predicted to rise above freezing, and it's going to rain. ***

Sunday I talked on Skype with my cousin Hans Peter who lives in Norway.  They had another good snowfall, and he took his daughter Angelina to go sledding.




In Switzerland they have a lot of snow in the Alps, and it has been an excellent winter for skiing.  However, at the lower elevations where my cousins live they have had several days of heavy rain.  The snow that the Zurich area had received earlier is all gone.  

Something that I did not know is that the schools in Switzerland have a couple of weeks off in the winter for a "ski vacation".  My cousin Brigitta and Helen, the wife of my cousin Walter, are both educators.  Helen is now on vacation, and Brigitta will be off in a couple of weeks.  (The "ski vacations" are staggered in different parts of the country so that the whole nation isn't out on the ski slopes at the same time.)  Helen and Walter both ski and were thinking about going to Wengen, a popular Alpine resort.  However they are not sure of their plans since Wengen has been hard hit by COVID.  

*** I wrote this yesterday morning.  Since then we got some more snow, perhaps another inch or two.  I just came back into the house after clearing out the driveway and sidewalk with the snow blower.   Still, what we have here is nothing compared to the east coast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment