from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A Cleveland Hotspot

Last Friday when I went to Edgewater Park to take some pictures of the frozen lake, I passed through an area known as Gordon Square.  In recent years it has become one of Cleveland's new hotspots for culture, dining and shopping.  It is centered at the intersection of Detroit Avenue and West 65th Street (which used to be called Gordon Street).  I have passed through the area numerous times, but I have never looked around.  So I parked my car and did a bit of exploration.


For over a century the area was a busy commercial district, but in the second half of the 20th century, the neighborhood fell into decline.  The district's rejuvenation began in 1984 when the Cleveland Public Theater opened its doors here.  The theater is a center for new and experimental works and showcases Greater Cleveland playwrights. 


 

Other theater groups have located here, such as the Near West Theater, which began as a summer youth program. 


The Cleveland Public Theater and the Near West Theater joined forces with the neighborhood community development organization and unveiled their plans to make Gordon Square an arts district.  In 2006 more than thirty million dollars was raised for the renovation of the area.  It is once again a vibrant district.

Once I feel comfortable again eating in restaurants, there are a number of places here I would like to try...


  Rincón Criollo serves Puerto Rican food.


Blue Habañero serves street tacos and tequila.  I´d go for the tacos.



Brewnuts is a donut shop with a twist.  The batter is infused with craft beer.  I don't care for beer, but I would be interested in trying their donuts.



Sweet Moses sells home-made ice cream.  The name is a reference to the founder of Cleveland, General Moses Cleaveland.

I saw a number of examples of street art during my short exploration.




According to the Gordon Square website there are more than twenty pieces of street art, and the site includes a map of all of them.  Guess that gives me another reason to come back and do a more thorough exploration of the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment