city at night

city at night

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The Real Thing

A couple of days ago I wrote that we are now in the season when restaurants are serving my favorite dish, "chiles en nogada".  I also wrote that the "chile" that I had at "El Bajío" last week did not live up to my expectations, but that I would surely soon be enjoying the dish at our favorite restaurant, "Angelopolitano".

Well, I did not have to wait long.  On Saturday, when Alejandro and I went to the PRONAFIM fair (discussed in my previous entry), we were planning on having dinner there by grazing at the numerous food stalls.  However, by the time we were done shopping at all the handicraft stalls, most of the food vendors had run out of food.  Not only that, but we didn't have much money left.  So, Plan B was to go to "Angelopolitano" (where credit cards are accepted).  It did not take any arm twisting to agree to that!

Once there we ordered a refreshing "agua fresca" of strawberry and ginger.



The restaurant had a special menu just of "chiles en nogada" with various multi-course packages.  We ordered a three course package.

As an appetizer we each had a "sope", a thick, fried circle of corn dough topped with beans, cheese and other ingredients.



Next came the main course, the "piece de resistance"... the superb "chiles en nogada".  The poblano stuffed with meat, fruit and nuts, covered with a cream walnut sauce and pomegranate seeds is a blending of savory and sweet, and nobody in my experience does it better than "Angelopolitano".



For desert I had coconut flan, and Alejandro had corn cake.



I can happily say that I have had my required dose of "chiles en nogada" at one of the finest restaurants in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment