city at night

city at night

Thursday, July 26, 2018

And the Winner Is...

Yesterday I went to one of my favorite small museums in Mexico City, "El Museo de Arte Popular"... the Museum of Popular Arts... or MAP for short.  The museum has a wonderful collection of the very best of Mexican handicrafts.

The museum is located downtown in an art deco building that used to be the city's central fire station.




A decorative carving on the corner of the building...  Pre-Hispanic Art meets Art Deco




As I entered the courtyard of the museum, I saw this entry from last year's Parade of Monumental "Alebrijes".  



Since 2007 MAP has sponsored the annual parade of colorful, fantastical creatures known as "alebrijes".  Prizes are awarded to the best entries.  Last October I attended the 2017 parade, and I posted pictures and wrote about it here on this blog.  I said at the time that I thought that the entry pictured above was the best of all and deserved to win.  The detail on it is absolutely amazing.





I was never found out which "alebrijes" won the competition.  But now I know that my favorite won first place, a prize of 50,000 pesos (2500 dollars)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment