from airplane

from airplane

Monday, July 23, 2018

The "Chiles" Are Back

Mexico's most wonderful culinary creation, "chiles en nogada", are beginning to appear on the menus of Mexico City restaurants.  August and September are the season for this delectable dish, and it is associated with Mexican Independence Day (September 16th) because the green poblano pepper, the white walnut sauce and the red pomegranate seeds are the colors of the Mexican flag.  

After my visit to the Anthropology Museum on Thursday, I went to "El Bajío", a restaurant chain that specializes in traditional Mexican cuisine.  When I saw "chile en nogada" on the list of daily specials, I was at first surprised, but then I thought, "August is almost here."

The "chile" is a beautiful dish.



I have to admit, however, that I am somewhat of a snob when it comes to "chiles en nogada".  If I had never tasted this dish before, I would have been very impressed with what "El Bajío" set before me.  But, even though it was tasty, it was definitely not the best that I have had.  The stuffing, a mixture of ground meat, fruit and nuts, was very skimpy with the meat, and the sauce was a bit grainy. 

I am sure that before this trip is over, I will be dining at my favorite restaurant, Angelopolitano, where the "chiles en nogada" are absolute heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment