city at night

city at night

Monday, July 30, 2018

Breakfast Choices

I have a list of places near my apartment that serve a good breakfast, but I am always checking out more places, especially since friends of mine are coming to visit me in Mexico City this fall.

A short walk up Insurgentes Avenue from my apartment, located in a brand new, high rise office tower, is a Toks Restaurant.




Toks is a chain of restaurants with locations throughout Mexico.  They are not as ubiquitous as the larger chains of Sanborns or VIPs, but Alejandro and I agree that their food is generally better.  However, I have never eaten breakfast there, so I wanted to see what their breakfast menu was like.

I ordered the chef's suggestion, a dish called "Delicia Mazahua" (Mazahua Delight... the Mazahuas are a tribe to the northwest of Mexico City).  It consisted of a "cake" of egg covered in "mole" and cheese.


It was very good.  The "mole" was spicy with fruity undertones.  It might not be something my friends would like, but there was quite a variety of dishes on the breakfast menu.  Toks is definitely now on the list of places to go in the morning.

Of course, if my friends get homesick for a U.S.A. breakfast, we can go to the IHOP at the World Trade Center (but not on weekends when there is a line out the door waiting to be seated).



And I am still patiently waiting for the advertised opening of "El Cardenal" across the street from the World Trade Center.  "El Cardenal" is a chain, but their traditional Mexican food is excellent, and their breakfasts are supposed to be superb.



My friends will definitely not be going hungry when they come to Mexico City!

No comments:

Post a Comment