city at night

city at night

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Popo is Fuming

On Good Friday Alejandro and his family took an outing to the mountains to the east of Mexico City.  One of the places that they visited was El Paso de Cortés (the Pass of Cortez).  This mountain pass, with an elevation of over 11, 000 feet, sits between the two snow covered volcanoes, Popocatepetl and Iztaccíhuatl, the second and third highest peaks in Mexico.  It was through here that the Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés and his soldiers marched on their way to the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan (present day Mexico City). 

The day was bright and sunny, and they had a spectacular view of Popocatépetl (known as "Popo" for short) which was fuming that day.  Popo, which has an elevation of 17,800 feet, is an active volcano.  It has been especially active since the 1990s, and frequently belches smoke and ash. 

Alejandro took some excellent photos of the mountain.  I will share a couple of them with you.



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic shots! I went past Popo so many times hoping to see a decent plume. Alas, no doing.

    These are from your new Sony I take it? They look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I can't take credit for these. They were taken by my chilango friend Alejandro and sent to me... and I think they were taken with his phone, I just arrived in D.F. this afternoon. Didn't see Popo from the plane... the valley was a bowl of smog.
      Saludos

      Delete