Independence Day

Independence Day

Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Canada Comes to Mexico

Some time ago I noticed that the Canadian donut chain, Tim Hortons, had opened a store here in Mexico City by the Chilpancingo Metro station.


I had never been to a Tim Hortons.  Although they have locations in the United States, as far as I know, there are not any branches in the Cleveland area where I used to live.  When I saw this Mexico City store I thought I should try it out sometime.  Last week, I got off the subway at Chilpancingo, and it was starting to rain.  I decided to go inside.


Their menu had a number of items that seemed to have been added for their Mexican stores.  It included Mexican hot chocolate, "buñuelos" (a fried dough fritter) and "chocolatines" (a popular chocolate filled sweet bread).

I ordered Mexican hot chocolate, a maple dip donut and a chocolate dip donut.


Frankly, if this store is indicative of the chain as a whole, I am not impressed with Tim Hortons.  The hot chocolate was not that good, and the donuts were nothing special.  I am not a big fan of Krispy Kreme (there are many shops here in Mexico), but I think their donuts are better.  And Tim Hortons cannot begin to compare to Spudnuts, the wonderful donuts from the little shop in my hometown of Berea, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment