Independence Day

Independence Day

Monday, July 22, 2024

Another Salsa

Last week I made another kind of salsa.  This one goes by a number of names.  It is often called "pico de gallo" (rooster's beak), although that name is also used for a salad made of jicama and orange.  It is also called "salsa cruda" (raw sauce) because the ingredients are not cooked, or "salsa mexicana" because the ingredients are the colors of the Mexican flag.


It is very easy to make.  It was the very first item of Mexican cuisine that I learned to make many decades ago. After I returned from studying at the University of the Americas in Mexico for three months, I missed the flavors of genuine Mexican cooking.  The wife of one of my Spanish professors in Ohio taught me how to make this simple salsa.   All you do is mix together chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped cilantro, and a chopped jalapeño pepper.  Then add lime juice and salt to taste.  It's a wonderful garnish on top of many dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment