Independence Day

Independence Day

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

After All These Years

The last destructive earthquake to hit Mexico City was on September 19th, 2017, when 228 people perished and more than 40 buildings collapsed.  There are still empty lots in the city where collapsed or damaged buildings were cleared away.  An apartment building where I used to rent an Airbnb, although still standing after the quake, was eventually torn down because of structural damage.  I sometimes make a point of passing by there, and although you can see some construction material and equipment beyond the barricade, the lot remains vacant.

Amazingly, nearly seven years after the quake, I come upon the ruins of this building while walking around the same neighborhood.




 

2 comments:

  1. There are still empty lots and blocks when the earthquake in 1985 hit......I NEVER want to go through that again as long as I live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It seems that there is a major quake every 30 years more or less... 1957, 1985, 2017. If so, I'm not likely to be around for the next big one. My apartment building is built on bedrock, so it is less likely to be affected.

      Delete