Independence Day

Independence Day

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Another Art Market

After a seeing the "Fair of the World" last Saturday, we walked just a couple of blocks to the picturesque center of Coyoacán.  I asked Alejandro, "Isn't there an art market around here on weekends?"  We wandered a bit and soon found the park where local artists set up their work for sale.


My initial impression was that the artists here were not nearly as good as those who participate in the Saturday art market in San Angel or in the Sunday market at Parque Sullivan.  But then I spotted some art that caught my eye.


This gentleman by the name of Jaime Mendoza had some lovely landscapes.  I ended up buying one depicting the snow-covered volcanoes near Mexico City.  It is now hanging in my living room.



This young fellow by the name of Manuel Quiroz does paintings on woven straw mats.  Several of his works are of chili peppers.


I thought that one would look good in the kitchen.  I already had a piece of art covering the circuit breaker, but the painting of the pepper would be a more appropriate kitchen theme.  I moved the previous piece to my office, and now this work by young señor Quiroz does a very nice job of covering the circuit breaker.


  

So, it was a very successful shopping day.  I bought a couple of dolls to give as gifts at the "Fair of the World" and I got a couple of pieces of art for the apartment.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Gracias. Having participated in many art shows back in Ohio, I really like to support the artists. I know how much a sale means to them.

      Delete