zocalo

zocalo

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Getting Into the "Buen Fin" Spirit

When I was downtown on Friday I actually participated a bit in the shopping frenzy that takes place during the "Buen Fin", Mexico's version of Black Friday which occurs each year over the Revolution Day weekend.

Just off of the Zócalo is a department store called "El Nuevo Mundo".  It may not be as well known as the bigger department store chains, but it has a long tradition in Mexico City.  It was originally founded in 1877 as a fabric store, and, although it still has a large fabric department, the four floors of the store today feature men's, women's and children's clothing, shoes, home goods, and furniture.



Because it was the "Buen Fin", everything in the store was discounted up to 40%.
(Of course, you know that most items were not discounted THAT much.)



I went up to the top floor to the home goods department, because I wanted to buy some placemats for the dining table in my apartment.  



It seemed at first as if all of the placemats were made in China, but then I came upon some that were made in Mexico.  They were actually perfect for the glass top table.  They were oval in shape and made from a rubberized material.  I bought four of them in black.  The original cost was only 116 pesos (6.73 U.S. dollars), but they were discounted to 92 pesos ($5.32 U.S.).  I had to smile when the affable gentleman at the cash register insisted on speaking to me in English.

I was getting a little hungry, and I had heard that the restaurant in the department store was quite good.  I order "café con leche" (the Mexican version of "café au lait") and chicken enchiladas in a "poblano" pepper sauce.  The enchiladas were very tasty, and this light lunch cost a whopping 144 pesos ($8.36 U.S.)





Looking toward the Zócalo from a window of the restaurant

Heading downstairs to the men's department I got into the Christmas-shopping mood.  Alejandro's dad is always cold, especially in the winter.  I found a very nice zip-up sweater (it was actually called a "sweater-jacket") that was made in Mexico.  The original price was 1099 pesos ($64 U.S.) but, with the "Buen Fin" discount, it was 879 pesos ($51 U.S.).  If my math is correct, that was about 20% off.

I enjoyed my little shopping expedition at "El Nuevo Mundo".  I like the store, and the employees are extremely friendly and helpful.  I have a start on my Christmas shopping too!


No comments:

Post a Comment