zocalo

zocalo

Friday, November 24, 2023

After Two Nights of Rain

Tuesday and Wednesday nights here in Mexico City were chilly and rainy.  Just look at the results of that in this dramatic photo of the snow-covered volcano Iztaccíhuatl which someone sent to Alejandro.


I often post photos of Popocatépetl from the Mexican webcams website, but Iztaccíhuatl (Izta for short) is the other volcano (this one non-active) to the east of Mexico City.  I don't think I have ever seen it with this much snow!

The picture certainly does not match the image of tropical Mexico that most people have.  The last couple days have indeed been dreary and chilly.  As I write this, just before dawn, the temperature is only 47 degrees F.  However, as I look out the window of my office, the sky is once again cloudless, and the afternoon high is forecast to be 74.

6 comments:

  1. Our winter has begun! Much snow in Northern Mexico now, but not here in SMA thankfully. It indeed was dreary, cold and rainy for a few days here.... It will get colder and colder until mid February. Bah humbug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can get very chilly at night in Mexico City also. January is the worst. Fortunately, by afternoon, even in mid-winter, the temperature usually gets up into the 70s. I will take this as opposed to winter in Ohio.

      Delete
  2. Please send your cousin some of that snow so it looks like Christmas in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleveland seems to be missing out on the wintry weather that so much of the U.S. has had. Even parts of northern Mexico have seen snow. I just looked at the forecast for Cleveland... you might get some snow tomorrow, but by Wednesday the temperature will be up to 50. Here another cold front is coming through... several days of cloudy skies and some rain on Wednesday, but the high temperatures will still be 70 or above.

      Delete
  3. Looks chilly!

    I made good use of the portable heater I bought at Soriana while living down there, but to your point, winter afternoons were almost always warm and sunny.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet bought a heater, but I have worn the sweaters I brought down, and, of course, I don't go out at night without a jacket.

      Delete