flowers

flowers

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Books for the Trip

As always, I have selected a couple of books for my upcoming trip, to read while waiting at the airport, while on my flights, and while I am in Mexico.  (Please don't tell me to buy a Kindle.  I'm a dinosaur that likes the feel of a real book in my hands.)  In March, I made another trip to the local branch of Half Price Books with a couple of shopping bags full of books, DVDs and music CDs as I continue to slowly clear out the house.  I then turned around and bought a number of novels that sounded interesting.  In addition to taking a couple of books in my carry-on for the trip, on each journey to Mexico I have been packing a few books in my checked suitcase.  I am gradually building up a library of English-language books at the condo so that I will have plenty of reading material when I make the permanent move to Mexico City. 

Here are the two books that I have chosen to read on this trip...


"When the Sleeper Wakes" was written in 1910 by the British author H. G. Wells.  I have never read anything by Wells, but his books such as "War of the Worlds" earned him the nicknames of "The Father of Science Fiction" and "The Shakespeare of Science Fiction".  In this book the protagonist wakes up after being in coma for 203 years.  He discovers that he is the world's richest man in an authoritarian, dystopian society.

I am a fan of historical fiction, so I picked up a copy of "The Confessions of Young Nero".  I had never heard of the author, Margaret George, but I have since read that she is an American writer of meticulously researched historical novels.  She specializes in epic fictional biographies, and her other books include novels about Cleopatra, Henry VIII, and Helen of Troy.  I saw several of her works at Half Price Books, and if I like this one, I'll have to buy some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment