from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, June 24, 2021

A Stack of Books

My friend and former teaching colleague Carol came over and we went out for lunch.  When we see each other we have got into the habit of exchanging books that we have read.  I have been trying to clear out some of my collection.  I gave her a stack that included two classics of 20th century South American literature in English translation, "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez and "The House of Spirits" by Isabel Allende; an American classic, "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck; and a thick historical novel which I finished on my last trip to Mexico, "Roma" by Stephen Saylor.  She brought me five books that she had read.


I was especially pleased to see Ken Follet's recent book "The Evening and the Morning" among them.  I enjoy Follet's historical novels.  This one is a prequel to his successful "Pillars of the Earth" which takes place in medieval England.

I am not familiar with the author Kristin Hannah.  Her historical novel "The Four Winds" takes place during the Great Depression.

"American Dirt" by Jeanine Cummins is novel about a Mexican family forced to make the perilous journey to cross the border to the U.S.  It has stirred a controversy in which some say it is a case of cultural appropriation, that it is story that should be written by a Latino, not a white "gringa".  I will wait until I read it before passing judgement, but it seems to me that an author should be free to write outside his/her own cultural experience.

There are three non-fiction books among them.  "The Lost City of the Monkey God" by Douglas Preston details an expedition to find the ruins of a pre-Hispanic city hidden in the rainforest of Honduras.  "The Seine" by Elain Sciolino takes us on a journey along the rive that flows through the heart of Paris.  And finally, "The Girl Explorers" by Jayne Zanglein is about the exploits of female explorers and globetrotters whose stories are, in many cases, untold.

Carol has a knack for picking out good books.  Even the ones that I probably would not have selected for myself have proven to be enjoyable.  I still have some books from my last trip to the bookstore, so I now have a large selection for my bedtime reading and for my next trip to Mexico.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I had time to read your post today. I have been remiss for quite a while. I didn't know Follett had a book I had not read! I've heard much abour Kristin Hannah and all the awards she has received. I need to get that book. AND, I read American Dirt! It had a significant impact on me and should be read by everyone who things of those seeking asylum as "illegal immigrants". The authors research was excellent. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm going to order 2 books put on my Kindle. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read any of Follett's spy thrillers, but I have enjoyed his historical novels... "Pillars of the Earth", its sequel "World Without End", and his 20th century trilogy. In addition to this prequel, which is his most recent book, there is another novel of the "Pillars of the Earth" series which I have not read. It's called "A Column of Fire", and it takes place in Tudor England. Have you read that one?

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have read Column of Fire! I think I have read every book he has published. I'm always impressed at the research and details.......I used to love Ludlum as well but his books got to predictable and violent for me......I read a lot and have no favorite author right now other then Follett.........

    ReplyDelete