city at night

city at night

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Party Time

I was supposed to be in Mexico for my birthday, but obviously that didn't happen.  I expected my birthday to be just like every other day since the beginning of the pandemic.  But it turned out to be much more festive than I expected.  

In the morning I gave Alejandro's nephew Ezra his English lesson on Skype.  Before the lesson began I was serenaded by Ezra, Alejandro, and Pedro (Alejandro's dad, Ezra's grandpa) with the traditional Mexican birthday song, "Las Mañanitas".

Two of my friends who graduated from high school with me... many, many years ago... had made arrangements to come over in the late afternoon.  I have written about Gayle and Duffy a number of times here on the blog.

 

I've known Gayle since kindergarten.  She still lives here in Berea, and we have become better friends now than when we were in school.



Duffy and I were not in classes together in elementary school, but I came to know him better in high school when his family hosted exchange students from South America.  He is a semi-retired immigration lawyer.  (He keeps talking about completely retiring from his law practice, but I am not holding my breath!)  He has homes in Puerto Rico and Miami.  He is up here in Ohio for the summer.

They brought carry-out from a nearby Italian restaurant, and we had dinner (socially distanced, of course) on my patio.

Instead of a cake, Gayle brought a package a cupcakes.  Here am I with a candle in one of the cupcakes.


They also brought me a miniature rose bush that I can plant in my garden.


We had a great time!  Thank you so much Gayle and Duffy for making my birthday special!



No comments:

Post a Comment