city at night

city at night

Monday, August 10, 2020

A Birthday Treat

 Just a short drive from my house is the best little donut shop around... Spudnuts!

"Spudnuts" get their name from the fact that they are made with potato flour.  They are based on an old German recipe   Spudnuts was once a national chain with over 300 franchises nationwide.  Today the parent company no longer exists, but there are still 35 independent stores.  And one of them is here in Berea, Ohio!  

Since 1949 the Spudnuts Shop was a fixture in downtown Berea, and I can remember enjoying their donuts as a child.  Urban renewal in 1970 forced Spudnuts to close their downtown store, but they moved to a new location in Berea and are still going strong.

When Alejandro has come up to visit me, I always make it a point to buy some Spudnuts.  He loves them.  There are Krispy Kreme shops in Mexico, but he has told his family that Spudnuts are far superior.

As good as they are, I do not make a habit of buying Spudnuts.  But today is my birthday.  I got up early, and bought myself a half dozen donuts as a special treat.

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go eat a Spudnut!


6 comments:

  1. Feliz Cumpleaños!
    Hope you enjoyed the doughnuts with any leftover mole~.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chuck. The mole was all gone. It is a traditional dish to serve on birthdays, so perhaps I was unconsciously preparing a pre-birthday meal for myself by making mole last week. There are a couple doughnuts left however. When I first read your comment I thought that you were suggesting I serve the mole on top of the doughnuts, and I thought "Yuck!" :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! I am a fan of donuts, but I've never had Spudnuts. I'll have to make a stop there the next time I'm in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! Yes, you must try Spudnuts sometime!

      Delete