from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Random pictures of Paris

I'm sorting through the pictures I took of Paris.  Here are some that I did not post earlier...

Our hotel was in a delightful neighborhood not far from the Eiffel Tower.  The streets were lined with sidewalk cafés, flower shops and food shops.


We ate a couple of times at this café just down the street from our hotel.  Here I ate the best French onion soup I have ever had.

 
This café was thronged with people watching the World Cup match between France and Switzerland.  (Of course, I kept my mouth shut, and did not let it be known that I was rooting for Switzerland.)
 
 


 
 
During our wanderings through the city we never got to the Arc de Triomphe,  but we did see this smaller but impressive archway in front of the Louvre.
 
 
 
A passageway leading into the plaza by the Louvre
 
 
 
An impressive government building facing the Place de la Concorde
 
 
 
The Grand Palais and the Petit Palais (the Big and Small Palaces) stand across the street from each other.  They were both built as exhibition halls for the World's Fair of 1900.  Today they are both art museums.  We briefly visited the Petit Palais, but by that point "museum fatigue" was starting to set in.
 

 
 
More to come...



No comments:

Post a Comment