city at night

city at night

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Switzerland in Mexico




Last Friday, after visiting the Anthropology Museum, I was walking through Chapultepec Park along the Paseo de la Reforma, the boulevard which cuts through the park.  I noticed on the other side of the street a wooden building which I had not seen before.  It was flying the flag of Switzerland.


I told Alejandro that we would have to check it out.  So on Saturday we walked back to Chapultepec Park.  The building is a temporary pavilion called "La Casa de Suiza" (the House of Switzerland) which was built to commemorate the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Switzerland and Mexico.



In front of the pavilion was a lady from Switzerland who was playing the alp horn.  She didn't speak Spanish or English, so I tried to converse with her a bit using my rudimentary German.  I told her that I have cousins there, and that I visited Switzerland last summer.

  
The pavilion is not that interesting; it is mainly publicity for various Swiss companies such as Nestlé.   However, there was also a café serving Swiss food.  So we had our lunch there.  The meal was very good, and definitely made our trip to the House of Switzerland worthwhile!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment