chile en nogada

chile en nogada

Saturday, October 10, 2026

No Lunch for Me

After I was done voting at the Board of Elections, I thought about stopping somewhere for a bite to eat.  I really wasn't hungry, but I wanted to take advantage of a very unique place in downtown Cleveland.

On the corner of Euclid Avenue and East 9th Street is a historic building which was the former headquarters of the Cleveland Trust Bank.




This architectural gem was constructed in 1907.  The interior features a dramatic rotunda and mural paintings.  In 2015, Heinen's, an upscale chain of supermarkets in the Cleveland area, opened a store here.  It was called one of the most beautiful grocery stores in the country, and became a tourist attraction.  In the prepared foods section, there were tables where you could enjoy lunch in this magnificent setting.

I had eaten there a few times in the past when I was downtown, and I walked over to Euclid Avenue to have some lunch. Imagine my disappointment to discover that the store closed permanently just a few months ago.


It would seem that a downtown grocery store would be a great asset given the growing number of people living here.  However the growth of delivery services such as DoorDash made the store economically unsustainable.

I then remembered that there were food trucks on Public Square, so I headed down there.


However, lunch hour was over, and by the time I reached Public Square, the food trucks were driving away.

I crossed over to Terminal Tower to take the train back to the suburbs.


Oh well.  I usually only eat two meals a day, and as much as I had been eating on this trip, I really could do without lunch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment