Cleveland boasts some truly beautiful architecture. Here are some more photos that I took when I went to vote at the Board of Elections.
Cleveland has one of the top library systems in the country. The main branch on Superior Avenue is a five story building in Renaissance style that opened in 1925. Beyond it you can see the modern addition that was built in 1997.
Across the street from the library is the Arcade. Opened in 1890, was one of the first indoor shopping malls in the country, and it was modeled after the Galeria in Milan, Italy.
Today it houses the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
Next door to the Arcade is the Leader Building. It was once home to one of the city's early newspapers. It was built in 1913 in Beaux-Arts style.
The Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland designed in Italian Renaissance style was completed in 1923.
The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist was completed in 1852 and is the seat of the Bishop of Cleveland.
An interesting piece of street art that I had never seen before.
I was struck by the amount residential development in Cleveland's downtown district.
Some of the apartment buildings have been around for a while. For example the Reserve Square Apartments were built in the 1970s.
However, there are also a lot brand new apartment buildings.
And there are many older commercial and office buildings which are being converted to residential space. One example is this building of loft apartments called "The Grant".
The building was once occupied by W. T. Grant, a store which I remember from my childhood.
The 2020 census reported that over 13,000 people live in downtown Cleveland, and the percent increase of population is the highest in the city.














No comments:
Post a Comment