chile en nogada

chile en nogada

Thursday, October 8, 2026

At the Polls




After walking about a mile from Public Square in downtown Cleveland to the Board of Elections, I reached the polls at around 11:45 in the morning.  It was the first day of early voting in Ohio, and the line waiting to receive a ballot was long.  Obviously many people felt, as did I, that this was the most important mid-term election in our lives.


The line behind me kept growing longer and longer.  I waited about fifty minutes to receive my ballot, and those at the end of the line probably were going to have a wait of an hour or more.  However, no one that I saw left their place in line to return another day.  We were all determined to cast our votes now.  Two years ago for the Presidential election, the line was long, but it seemed that the wait this year was considerably longer.  I hope that the large turnout is a good sign.

U.S. citizens who live in another country vote according to the last address at which they were registered. So, I received the ballot for my former hometown of Olmsted Falls.  It was seven pages long.  Not only were we voting for senator and representative to Congress, but for governor and other state officials.  There was also a large slate of judges (including two Ohio Supreme Court justices) and a number of state and local issues. By the time I scanned my completed ballot and left the building, it was around 1 P.M.

The most important reason for this trip had been accomplished!  

No comments:

Post a Comment