One wall of the living room in the apartment is made up of floor to ceiling windows. The sheer drapes at the windows were, I am sure, purchased by the former owners when they bought this place more than fifteen years ago. Not only are they starting to look shabby, but there are spots where the fabric is falling apart.
We wanted new drapes, and I wanted them before the holiday seasons of Day of the Dead and Christmas when I set up my "ofrenda" and my Nativity scene in front of the window. So, last weekend Alejandro and I went to the nearest branch of Parisina, a chain of stores that are similar to the now defunct Joanne Fabrics in the U.S. We had taken the measurements of the window and counted the number of hooks. Alejandro said that all we had to do was pick out the fabric, and Parisina would make the draperies.
When we arrived, we were directed to an area with bolts of fabric for curtains. The old drapes are light gray. I wanted sheers again so that my plants would get indirect light. I picked out a fabric that was a light cream color. It is sheer but with a pattern.
We went to a desk where we gave a lady the number of the fabric we had chosen and the measurements. The draperies will be ready to pick up in 20 to 25 business days, which means that we will have them in mid-September. What amazed me, and even amazed Alejandro, was the price. They measure four meters across (around 13 feet), and they cost less than 1000 pesos. (That's less than 60 U.S. dollars!)
No comments:
Post a Comment