I have written several posts about recent renovations to Mexico City's subway stations. It wasn't until last week that I had a chance to see what changes had been made to the Metro's "Zócalo" station. Located under the Zócalo, the city's main plaza, it is a very busy stop for residents and tourists alike. In 2021, the 500th anniversary of the fall of the Aztec capital, the name of the station was changed to "Zócalo - Tenochtitlan". (Tenochtitlan was the name of the Aztec capital, and its grand ceremonial center was located where the Zócalo is today.)
As in some of the other stations along this line, they have installed walls of living plants along the platforms. I wrote in another post that in some of the stations, these plants were dying because they did not have sunlight. Some genius must have figured this out, because I noticed that there are very bright lights (which I assume are "grow-lights") aimed at the plants.
Along the platforms there are mosaic paintings.
The volcanoes "Izta" and "Popo"
The equestrian statue of King Charles IV of Spain
The center of the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan as it appeared on the eve of the Spanish Conquest in 1521.
No comments:
Post a Comment