mexico

mexico

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Back at Work

Some of you may remember that before I began renting the apartment which I eventually bought, I stayed several times at an Airbnb in the Condesa neighborhood.  I had already started renting my current home when the deadly and destructive earthquake of 2017 struck.  My building suffered no damage, but the apartment building in Condesa had some serious structural damage.  For some years it was debated whether the damage should be repaired, or if the building should be torn down and rebuilt.  It was finally decided to demolish the building.  Whenever I would pass through that neighborhood, I would check to see what was going on with that property.  Time passed, and finally construction of a new building appeared to be underway.  But then, signs saying "SUSPENSION DE ACTIVADES" were posted at the site.  That means that work was temporarily suspended often due to lack of permits.  A few days ago I passed by, and the "SUSPENSION" signs were gone, and there were workers and equipment.


There is still very little progress, however.  It's been nine years since the earthquake.  I am beginning to wonder if I will ever see the completed building in my lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment