from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Still Not a Fan

Middle Eastern cuisine has never been a favorite of mine, but I gave it another try last Thursday when I went to a place a short walk from my apartment.  The restaurant is called "Al Andaluz".  Google maps lists it as a Lebanese restaurant, although the sign on the door says it's an Arabic restaurant.  



The reviews on Google Maps were mostly positive, although when I went inside there was only one other customer. Not a good sign.

As a starter I ordered falafel.  I had heard of falafel, though I had never eaten it.  I knew that it was made from garbanzos.  I like hummus, which is also made from garbanzos, so I figured it would be a good choice.


The little balls of ground garbanzos were accompanied a tahini (sesame seed) dip.  I don't know if the falafel were slightly burnt; they looked very dark in color.  They were OK, but they sat in my stomach like cannonballs.  I definitely prefer hummus.

For my main course I ordered chicken shistauk... cubes of marinated chicken served with onions and bell peppers.


There were a lot of onions and peppers and not much chicken.  It was very oily, and I didn't think it had that much flavor.

When I left the restaurant, my opinion of Middle Eastern food had not changed.

2 comments:

  1. I love Middle Eastern food, particular the way chicken, beef, and lamb dishes are seasoned. And I can eat hummus with every meal. Plus, most of the stuff is healthy. Falafel is okay, but I'm fine with just two or three pieces.

    That being said, Mexico's Middle Eastern food scene is sorely lacking, and that chicken shistauk you ordered doesn't look particularly appetizing.

    Do you know if they had baklava on the menu?

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to Middle Eastern restaurants in the U.S. and didn't care much for the food there either. I did go to an Iranian restaurant in Chicago that was very good, but I don't know if that is a somewhat distinct cuisine.
      Yes, they had trays of baklava (the place is a combination restaurant and bakery). I love baklava, but my main reason for going to the place was to eat healthily. (My triglycerides and bad cholesterol have gone up during the five months that I have been in Mexico!)

      Delete