from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

At the Plant Market

 After my walk through "Viveros de Coyoacán", the large green area that serves as a government tree nursery, there was another place I wanted to visit.  At the northeast corner of "Viveros" and just outside its gate is a place which is called the Permanent Exhibition of Floriculture and Nursery... a pretentiously long name for a plant market.  Here a number of Mexico City growers sell a wide variety of live indoor and outdoor plants. Since I eventually want to have some house plants in my apartment, I wanted to check this place out.

There are several nicely landscaped areas to give homeowners ideas for their outdoor gardens.







There was a beautiful display of azalea bushes in bloom, which, I later read, they have every February.  The bushes are all in pots and are available for sale.








I don't think that I have ever seen a yellow azalea before.


Although the place is not extremely large, I probably spent at least an hour, wandering around and looking at the enormous assortment of all kinds of plants.  I was familiar with many of them, and I had some of them in my house in Ohio.  All of the plants here seemed to be of very high quality; they all looked very healthy.








These Christmas cacti are like the one I had in Ohio.  They don't seem to know what time of year it is.  They are ready to bloom.




A variety of herbs... rosemary, basil, and, obviously, oregano.




A spectacular orchid



I have never tried to grow orchids before, but I am tempted to give it a try.




Bonsai trees




Cyclamens




A bromeliad




You might remember the monster rubber tree plant that I had in Ohio.  Well, I have no intention of having one in the limited space of my apartment!





I was sorely tempted to buy a small plant or two, but I had a long walk back to the apartment.  Perhaps one weekend Alejandro and I can drive there, and I can begin my indoor garden.



2 comments:

  1. You should try growing an orchid, they really aren't that hard and are quite lovely. And it wouldn't take up as much room as your rubber plant.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about it. Definitely no more rubber trees!

      Delete