from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

So-so Oaxacan

In my previous post I mentioned that I had seen a Oaxacan restaurant called "La Bella Lulá" on my long walk down Revolución Avenue.   On the way back I stopped there for dinner.  Oaxaca is considered one of the culinary capitals of Mexico, and it is famous for its variety of "moles".  I had high hopes for this restaurant.

I started with black bean and noodle soup. It was good.



For my main course I had chicken breast covered in almond "mole".  The chicken was rather dry, and I thought that the "mole" was bland.  It certainly was not as good as what I have had in Oaxaca.



After I returned to the apartment I took a look at the reviews for the place.   I was surprised to see so many glowing reviews.  However, there were a number of people who shared my opinion that the food wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either.  One person summed it up saying that if you have never had Oaxacan food, you might think that the restaurant is great.  If you have been to Oaxaca, you know that the food here is not outstanding.

Needless to say, I am not going to make the trek to "La Bella Lulá" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment