city at night

city at night

Thursday, September 2, 2021

The Flavor of Oaxaca

There was another reason why I went downtown last week.  A friend of mine wants some genuine Mexican chocolate.  Sadly, many Mexican chocolate makers have been bought up by international companies such as Nestle.  One enterprise that has remained 100% Mexican is "Mayordomo", which has been a family business in Oaxaca since 1956.  They have a couple of branches in Mexico City, including one in the historic center which is both a store and restaurant.  So I stopped here not only to buy chocolate but also to have my afternoon dinner.


The place was quite busy, but I was able to get a table near the door.  (When there is no outdoor seating, I prefer a spot that has good air flow.) 

Of course there was no question in my mind as what I would order to drink... traditional hot chocolate made from Mayordomo's Premium chocolate.  


I began with a cup of "crema de elote"... cream of corn soup.


As a main course I ordered a "tlayuda" which you might call Oaxaca's version of pizza.


A large, thin, crispy corn tortilla is spread with "asiento"... pork lard (I didn't claim that the dish is healthy!).  On top of that are refried beans, and a Oaxacan cheese called "quesillo".  Mine was garnished with shredded lettuce and some cherry tomatoes and avocado.  The final touch was a piece of "tasajo"... a thinly sliced, salted and dried piece of beef.  

After my meal I then turned to the shelf of merchandise and bought a couple of boxes of chocolate... one for my friend and one to have here in the apartment.


(In case you are wondering, those bottles on the top shelf are different flavors of cream of mezcal.)



Mayordomo
The Flavor of Oaxaca

No comments:

Post a Comment