from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Where the Buzzards Roost

Early last month, back when the weather was still pleasant enough for long walks in the park, I visited a part of the Cleveland Metroparks system which I had not visited since I was in high school... the Hinkley Reservation.  



This portion of the Cleveland Metroparks is actually located in neighboring Medina County.  It has gained a certain degree of fame in our area because every year on March 15th a large flock of buzzards returns here after their winter sojourn in the south.  It may not be as romantic as the swallows that return to San Juan Capistrano, California, but, every year since 1957, Buzzard Sunday, the first Sunday after March 15th, has attracted thousands of people to Hinkley to see the buzzards. 

The park reservation surrounds Hinkley Lake, which, with a surface area of 37 acres, is the largest lake in the Metroparks system.  The lake is man-made.  In the early 20th century a local entrepreneur dammed the Rocky River to create the lake.  He had hopes of establishing a resort on the shores of the lake.  When his plans fell through, he donated the lake to the park authority.  Additional forestland surrounding the lake was eventually purchased to create today's reservation.

I left my car at a parking lot near the dam which is located at the northern end of the lake.



Below the dam there is a small beach where people may swim in the summer.  From here I walked the unpaved, three-mile trail which loops around the lake.





Although it was late in the season, there were still some trees with autumn foliage.




At the southern end of the lake is a small store and boat house where people may rent a rowboat or canoe.  Although it was open, I did not see anyone boating on the lake.




As I continued around the other side, I passed over the Rocky River near where it enters the lake.  From Hinkley it continues northward, eventually flowing into Lake Erie.  This is the same Rocky River which passes through Berea about a mile from my house.  (The west branch of the Rocky River passes through my home town of Olmsted Falls about a mile from my house in the other direction.)



A walk around Hinkley Lake was a very pleasant hike for an autumn outing.




By the way, here is a picture that I found on the internet of a couple of Hinkley buzzards. (Technically, they are turkey vultures.)  They certainly won't win any beauty contests!



1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful pictures. I remember once upon a time when the sun shone.

    ReplyDelete