from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Making Spätzli

"Spätzle" is a type a dumpling typical of southern Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.  My mother used to make them, but she always referred to them as "spätzli", which is the name that is commonly used in Switzerland.  I am sure that she must have learned how to make them from her Swiss grandmother.  However, she did not have a written recipe.

Helen, the wife of my Swiss cousin Walter, gave me her recipe, and a while ago I finally got around to making them.  The recipe is very easy.

Mix 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour with 100 milliliters of lukewarm water.  (Fortunately my measuring cup has metric as well as English measures on it.  I think most of them do.) Add three beaten eggs, a large pinch of salt, a splash of mineral water, and stir together.  Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour.



There are metal gadgets similar to graters that can be used to make the "spätzli".

(image taken from the web)


My mother, however, simply spooned the dough into boiling water.  When the dumplings rise to the top of the water, spoon them out.  I haven't quite mastered the knack for spooning the dough into the water, so my "spätzli" came out a little larger than hers.



Helen recommended then sautéing the "spätzli" in butter with onions.


They were very good.  However, with my leftover dumplings, I did what my mother always used to do...  I mixed them with sauerkraut.  Yum!

Guten appetit! 

6 comments:

  1. I once made spetzle for 60 people to serve with chicken paprikas. I lived in a co-op during grad school (around 1999). I made Sunday lunch. I had my grandmother's recipe (Hungarian) and did them like she did and you did. I dropped them in boiling water. I don't remember how long I stood there cooking the dumplings, but that's the last time I made them. Maybe I'll try to find her recipe and make them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was her recipe pretty much the same as what I made?

      Delete
  2. I make drop dumplings for a recipe from my maternal grandmother. If the trouble you're having trouble is them sticking to the spoon, I find it helpful to put the spoon in the boiling water before putting any dough on it (you only have to do this once at the beginning). As long as the water stays boiling while you're dropping them in, they sort of just slide off the hot spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is exactly the problem that I was having. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. This recipe got a place of honor in my Swiss food recipe collection book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to make spätzli again on New Year's Day with sauerkraut and kielbasa.

      Delete