city at night

city at night

Sunday, March 29, 2020

What's For Dinner?

Last week I came upon a video on YouTube on how to make "tortilla española", a very typical Spanish dish which is an egg, potato and onion omelette very similar to the Italian "frittata".  The video was done by a fellow from New Zealand who has lived in Madrid with his Spanish wife for the past eight years.  It is a rather entertaining video, especially the repartee between the husband and wife as he prepares the dish.  You can watch it HERE.

I have successfully made "tortilla española" many times.  It has long been a standby recipe to make for company.  I figured I would watch the video and see if he made it the same way that I make it.  His technique varied quite a bit from mine.  After frying the potatoes and onions, he removes the mixture from the frying pan, puts it in a bowl lined with paper towels to drain, and lets it cool down.  Then he combines the beaten eggs to the potatoes and onions and lets them sit for a half hour before cooking the omelette. I just add the fried potatoes and onions to the eggs, and immediately throw it back into the frying pan.  The one way in which my preparation differs from all recipes, is that I do not try to flip the "tortilla".  I simply put the pan under the broiler of the oven to let the top cook.

I had not made "tortilla española" for a long time, so the video inspired me to make it for dinner.  When I went to the supermarket last Wednesday I bought potatoes, the only ingredient which I did not have in the house.  Even though the New Zealander's method is more complicated, I tried his technique.  (Except for the flipping!  I refuse to do that!)

The finished product looked fine, just lightly browned on the top from the broiler.

  
The New Zealander says in the video that he likes his "tortilla" runny on the inside.  Well, when I cut into mine it was a bit runny.  It was tasty, but frankly I prefer the eggs to be thoroughly set.  And of all the many times that I have had "tortilla española", I do not recall ever having it runny on the inside.  I think I will just stick to my way of making it!

No comments:

Post a Comment